Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Midnight Fright

Okay, it wasn't midnight... I was still awake at midnight... but it sure was a fright. I was woken from a dead sleep by my cat Marlie making an awful yowl, the kind that makes your heart beat three times faster because you know something is wrong.

I sat bolt upright, looked at the clock, 1:30am, and waited... was I dreaming? Did I imagine it? Then she made the noise again. No, clearly I was not imagining it. I jumped over the headboard to the window where the noise was coming from. I thought maybe she was stuck and was struggling. It sounded like she was in pain.

I get over to the window to see that she's between the blinds and the window, so I pull up the blinds not really knowing what I'd find. Well Marlie just jumped right out of the window onto my desk, and what do I see? A raccoon. With its face right up against the window, peering into the bedroom.

Well, to be honest, I was more than a little freaked out. I dropped the blinds back down so I wouldn't have to see it, and then I thought gee, maybe I should try to scare it away. So I banged on the window (through the blinds), then picked the blinds back up and it was gone.

So Marlie was not hurt, just frightened. I think she was hanging out in the window when the raccoon showed up and scared the bejeesus out of her, and since she was behind the blinds she couldn't bolt and started to panic.

I have no idea how that raccoon got up onto our fire escape, but I do know I won't be sleeping with the window open anytime soon!! Yikes, last night could've been a lot worse if it were screen instead of glass between Marlie and the raccoon!

In my state of mind, the last thing I was thinking of was to take a picture, and I probably couldn't have gotten one if I tried, but I just can't have a photo-less post! So here is a picture of Marlie not being scared by a raccoon. That's my open textbook she's lying on... apparently I was paying too much attention to it, and not enough to her.



3 comments:

  1. Wow that is crazy!!! My cats would have gone NUTS if they saw a raccoon in the window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is super scary...good thing there was glass!I know someone who was attacked by a racoon...it wasnt pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live in a semi-rural area just one house away from a man-made canal. Every once in awhile a skunk or two must be roaming around the area, because the smell is rather fragrant, to say the least. Anyway, just this past week I had the back patio enclosed with lattice and a kitty door installed so that our four indoor-only cats can come and go onto the patio as they like. Keep your fingers crossed that the skunks and the cats don't mix. Eek!

    Joy

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment! Be advised that any comments including abusive language and/or personal attacks will not be approved.