Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Neverending Quilt

I can't even tell you exactly when Cale and I started working on this quilt. But I know we were still living in Boston at the time, and I think it was at least a few months before we moved to NYC. So... since we just renewed our lease, that means it's been over a year. And it's not a complex quilt. In fact, it's a really simple pattern. But we have a tendency to get sidetracked.

Basically, we've gotten as far as we have by working in spurts of diligence. We'll go through a week or two when we work on it a little bit every night, and then we just don't. For a few months. And then one of us will be inspired to go back to it, and we go through the same cycle again.

Our last "on" period was sometime in the dead of winter, and we were making such good progress that we thought we might finish before the weather got too warm to use it, and we even bought a gigantic roll of batting in anticipation. Well, now that batting has been taking up a good portion of our limited storage space for a good 3-4 months.

Well I got inspired again, after unearthing the quilt pieces when I was cleaning a few days ago, so we're working on it once again. I'm hoping that putting this out there in the blogosphere will help me keep up the momentum to actually finish this thing. We're about 3/4 done with the top, and then we need to assemble the layers, so if we keep at it we should be able to finish before the weather gets cold again.

I'm pretty sure I said that to myself around this time last year, but now I'm going to make it an official goal. This quilt will be complete before the end of October. Oh boy, now I've said it. Can we do it??? Feel free to leave me words of encouragement!

And now for some pictures of the infamous quilt...





It's got a two-way gradient thing going on, so the green gets darker as the brown gets lighter. That bit wasn't in the pattern - the pattern just had blues and creams randomly distributed. And man, it took us for.ev.er. to pick out fabrics, and decide on the layout of the blocks. I'm liking the look so far, though. Can't wait till I can sleep under it!

4 comments:

  1. Thats pretty cool that you got your bf to help with it. I wish my hubby would make a quilt with me. I just made my first one last week!

    Hurry up! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome looking quilt, you guys have done a great job. Good luck with the home stretch, I'm the queen of unfinished projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quilt!! I love the colors =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LillyShayStyle, his mom is a quilter and he was involved with her quilt guild when he was a kid, so believe it or not he's got more experience with quilting than I do (but I have more with sewing in general). It is really nice to be able to create something together. :)

    Thanks for the comments and encouragement Samantha and FleursRockAffair!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment! Be advised that any comments including abusive language and/or personal attacks will not be approved.